Getting help from the police

Reporting your partner or ex-partner to the police.

It’s your right to report your partner or ex-partner to the police. The law can help protect you, but it can also be confusing. Your local woman’s aid group can help you, and support you if you do choose to go to the police.

Police Scotland have two numbers you can call to report: 999 for emergencies, and 101 for non-emergencies.

If police do attend an incident they should:

•   Listen to you and help you find support, including from your local women's aid group

•   Gather all the details of an incident and investigate it fully.
•    Put you in touch with a specially trained domestic abuse officer.
•    If necessary, take you somewhere safe such as a Women’s Aid refuge, or help you make your own home secure.
•    Help you get medical attention if you are injured.
•    Arrest your partner/ex-partner and bring charges against them.

Download "Reporting to the police" for more information

If the police have gathered sufficient evidence to satisfy them that your partner/ex-partner has committed a crime, they will send a report to the Procurator Fiscal (PF).

Download "What happens if the police make a report to the Procurator Fiscal?" 

The police and the PF have produced a joint document on how the police should respond. They should follow these guidelines if you choose to report. Find out more.

Nearest SWA Group

Find your nearest Women's Aid group

Staying Safe

If you need immediate help contact Women's Aid, the police domestic abuse liaison officer or your local social work office.

You can also phone Scotland's domestic abuse and forced marriage helpline on 0800 027 1234


Sign up

Keep up to date with what's happening

Sign up today

Get Involved

There are many ways you can get involved whether you give your time, skills or money. Together, we can make a difference.


Social Feed

View Feed