Safety Plans

Przygotowanie planów bezpieczeństwa | ਸੁਰੱਖਿਆ ਯੋਜਨਾਵਾਂ ਬਣਾ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ | Faire des plans de sécurité
सुरक्षा योजना बनाना​ |制定安全计划

وضع خطط السلامة | حفاظتی منصوبے تیار کرنا"

Domestic abuse and women’s aid. We can help.

Domestic abuse is when a partner or ex-partner makes you feel scared or frightened. You might be hurt physically, sexually or emotionally. It often gets worse over time. Although it can impact on anyone, it is most commonly experienced by women.

Women’s Aid provides information and support for women, children and young people with experience of domestic abuse. You can contact us by phone or email. We will support you, listen to you and believe you. We are independent from social work, housing and the police.

Any woman, child or young person can contact Women’s Aid. We support women from all over the world who live in Scotland. We will not tell your friends, family or community you have contacted us or what you have said. 

We will help you whether or not you want to stay with your partner and whether or not you want to stay in a refuge. If you are worried about your immigration status, we can help. 

If you don’t feel safe in a relationship, or the behaviour of an ex-partner is frightening you, here are some things that you might want to think about.

  1. If you want to speak to Women’s Aid or find out more, try to use phones or computers in a public place, like your local library.  Home computers will store your web history, even if you have cleared it.
  2. If it’s possible and safe, think about letting a colleague, friend or family member you trust know what’s happening; they can check in with you to make sure you’re safe. Think about how they will do this, using a safe phone number or message.
  3. If you can, think about how you would let people know that you need help quickly, like an emergency word, hand movement or another kind of message.
  4. If you are able to, try to memorise the numbers of services or friends who can help. Don’t hesitate to call the police on 999 if you need help.
  5. If you’ve been hurt or injured, seek medical attention.  Doctors and other health professionals may be able to help you.  If you’re not registered with a GP, go to a hospital. They have a duty of care to see you, no matter what your immigration or financial status is.
  6. If you can, think of somewhere safe to keep a small amount of money for a taxi fare or a phone call.
  7. If you have children, teach them how to dial 999 in an emergency.
  8. If you have access to your birth certificate,  national insurance number, passport/nationality ID cards, immigration documents, housing documents and bank account information for yourself and your children, try and take these with you or get copies before leaving if it is safe to do so.
  9. If you’re thinking of leaving, having these important documents in a safe place or with a trusted friend can be helpful.
  10. Contact your local women’s aid group/s

Nearest SWA Group

Find your nearest Women's Aid group

Staying Safe

If you need immediate help contact Women's Aid, the police domestic abuse liaison officer or your local social work office.

You can also phone Scotland's domestic abuse and forced marriage helpline on 0800 027 1234


Sign up

Keep up to date with what's happening

Sign up today

Get Involved

There are many ways you can get involved whether you give your time, skills or money. Together, we can make a difference.


Social Feed

View Feed